Tuesday, September 22, 2009
This Week in Ricoh "TWIR Notes" 9/21/09
Gathered from Print4Pay Hotel Members from around the world and a few moles in very good places!
- Ricoh donated a fully loaded Ricoh Aficio PRO C900S production color laser system to the Graphic Communications Department of California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly).
- Ricoh announced it is offering a new external print controller for the PRO C900 production color system, the EFI Fiery QX100.
- Ricoh announced it will offer a print-only version of one of its A3 color laser MFPs.
- Called the Ricoh Aficio SP C821D for base MSRP of $4669
- Top speed of 50ppm color or b/w (SP C820D with 40ppm for $3699 base MSRP)
- 4 tandem OPC drum design
- Optional finishers
- Generic print controller only
- 600x600dpi at top speed, 1200x1200dpi at half speed (laser must draw the image twice)
- 4 bits per pixel
- 1GHz processor
- PCL & PostScript print drivers
- Ricoh announced it won a bid to provide managed print services to Unilever Corp. Details:
- 5 year cost per copy lease
- Covers offices in 29 countries
- Includes printers and MFPs
- For Unilever’s employees that work from home, they will be provided Ricoh Gelsprinter inkjet units
- Unilever makes consumer products like Lipton Ice Tea, Dove soap, Vaseline, etc.
- Ricoh announced that it opened up a new laser print engine plant in Thailand:
- Located in Rayong, which is southeast of Bangkok
- Will start at 8,000 print engines per month
- Maximum capacity of 140,000 print engines per month
- Cost of 690 million baht
- 210 employees