Tuesday, January 5, 2010
How was the Internet invented?
I picked this up on the P4PHotel Forums today, don't know how the Internet was started, thought it was something the military has used at one time. Any way thought I'd post this for every ones enjoyment!- How Internet was invented:
- 1958 – President Eisenhower created the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) at the Department of Defense to fund scientific research, which includes the Information Processing Techniques Office (IPTO) to fund computer projects.
- 1964 – IPTO head, J.C.R. Licklider, conceives of creating time-sharing to link researchers far away to ARPA computers.
- 1966 – David Evans joins University of Utah to start computer science department and gains millions of dollars in federal research grants
- 1966 – Robert Taylor of IPTO, wins approval for vision of ARPANET, a network that allow computers to communicate
- 1969 – Four universities are chosen to be nodes of the first network, including University of Utah, UCLA, Stanford and University of California - Santa Barbara
- 10/29/1969 – First message ever sent over ARPANET from UCLA to Stanford.
- 12/1/1969 – All 4 colleges are connected.
- 1990 – ARPANET is shut off.