Thursday, February 25, 2010
This Week in Canon "TWIC Notes"
These notes were posted oon the P4P Hotel Forums yesterday. Looks like Canon is getting back in the game with MFP launches!
- Canon is preparing to launch 5 new b/w A3 MFPs, the imageRUNNER 2500 series. Details:
- will range from 20 to 45ppm
- will not utilize the new ADVANCE print controller technology
- will based on current imageRUNNER IR-3220 platform
- Canon filed a lawsuit that may hurt IKON. Details:
- Filed in Virginia Eastern District Court
- Patent infringement claim against Densigraphix of Montreal, Canada (office in New York)
- Densigraphix makes toner cartridges for Canon-made laser printers and MFPs
- IKON, a division of Ricoh, apparently recently became Densigraphix’s largest customer when IKON was cut off from buying toner from Canon when it sold out to Ricoh
- The patent in question, #7647012, describes design of a toner cartridge for a copier
- Densigraphix toners sell for 30% less than those made by Canon
- If Canon wins the lawsuit, IKON would be forced to buy supplies from Canon, most likely at list price