Thursday, January 15, 2009

Selling Copiers "Death of a Dealer"



Today or tomorrow the copier dealership that I work for will be sold. Well, thank God that they just didn't close their doors like a few other copier dealers did in just this last year in the New York City Metro area.

My feelings, we are being bought by a first class outfit out of PA. I'd like to think of them as a technology solutions company first, and of the many hardware solutions are multifunctional copiers.

I always referred to my old company that they were stuck in the 80's. No corporate web site, no goals for growth, no training (the first two years we had training), no understanding of technology solutions and the thought that most customers were out to screw them.

Over the last few years, I started to see the writing on the wall, you know the signs of a sinking ship (I should have abandon ship a few years ago) Where we had inventory, now their was none. Where we had a demo room, and then there was none. Where we had test machines and then their were none. We used to be able to get systems in a few days and then it turned into weeks. I thought to myself what in the world is going on. Somewhere in the last five years it seems that the owners lost the three D's (Desire, Dedication and Determination) to succeed or to improve. That's' what I believe led to what will happen today or tomorrow.

Can desire come and go along with dedication and determination? Well, it seems it can. The industry that they once loved had beat them into the ground. With the likes of RBS, TABS, CBS, KMBS, SBS, Xerox and Global all in our market place, direct branch sales managers were gung ho on buying business and buying clicks, and they had deep pockets. My best guess is at times deals from direct branches had no more than 6-8% margins. This type of selling took many traditional accounts and the effects were soon felt. I've always stated that the dealers subsidize the direct branches. Manufacturers will say its not true, however the books are held so tight we'll never know. I say let the Direct Branches stand or fall on their own, if this were true. most of them would fail.

So, now I'm at a cross roads in the copier/mfp industry. Being in the industry for
29 years, I seen all of the tricks, heard all of the excuses and know all the dirty secrets. It seems that I may know too much and sometimes that can also hurt.

I'm going to stick it out for the change over, see if the grass is greener (I hoping it is) and if not, I'll make a move to see who wants and experienced sale professional that always puts the customer first. One of my favorites, "The customer is always right, and as long as you hold this true, the customer will always be your customer and will give you many opportunities down te road".

I'm not sure what to expect, however this old dog can learn new things and I can't wait for the opportunity!

-=Good Selling=-

1 comment:

Greg_Walters said...

You Old Salt you.

It's not the destination, we all end up in the same place, its the journey...

Bonne chance..