Thursday, April 14, 2011

Selling Copiers "How did we Get Here"???

When you've been selling copiers as long as I have, well..... let's say that you've been able to learn a few things along the way that help lead the way to a sale. So, a short story on how one of my recent sales went.

Almost two months ago, I had a call from an existing account that had leased and A4 MFP device from me about 26 months ago.  The account had upgraded a few PC's in the office and the OS was Windows 7, it seems that the older (2 years) had a problem scanning to Windows, thus the door was open for a possible upgrade. 

One of the biggest issues I had to overcome was the fact that there were still 36 months of payments on the lease, as we all know those payments just don't magically disappear.  We end up building the payments into the new and pray and hope the numbers aren't too crooked that would halt the upgrade process.  In this case the numbers were crooked, so crooked in fact that we needed to get another $80 per month with the new lease.  It was a no brainer that I had to dump the color MFP and come up with something else or I wouldn't have a sale!



I would have to say one of the most important strategies that I use is to find out as much as I can about how the customer uses the existing equipment, or if there is additional equipment, how they create there documents and even ask if the send documents out to be printed!!  BANG!, BANG! When I posed the last question to the account I found out something I didn't know about the account!

It's always good to dig right? What I mean is to  keep asking questions like who to do this, why do you do it that way etc. For this particular account I uncovered that they were outsourcing 120,000 prints a year to a print shop.  They were single and double sided prints and they would get 2,500 - 5,000 printed on color paper, and then have them tri-folded by the printer. 

What was my solution and how much money did I save this account?  You'll have to log in the the Print4Pay Hotel forums and read the rest.  Click hear to become a member of the faster growing social network of copier professionals in the world!!!  Print4Pay Hotel forums

-=Good Selling=-

No comments: