Sunday, January 9, 2011

Copier, MFP's & Presidents Club

Another year has passed for me in the Office Equipment Industry.  I'll be starting my 32nd year in the Copier Business, with 30 of those years in "down the street" sales.

The start of a new year has always been a struggle for me, not work wise, but mentally. The end of every year includes closing as much business as you can, along with putting in an additional 20-30 hours in for the end of the month. I always remember that you're only as good as your last  month, quarter or year.  The start of the new year means that I'm starting from scratch again, and I can see why so many reps can't or don't cut it in this business, it's a grind, every day, every month, every quarter and every year.  To tell you the truth it seems like the quarters and years are starting to fly by, I can only remember a saying that life is similar to a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end of the roll, the faster it goes!

I've been fortunate in the last six months, sales have turned around somewhat even though margins are down. I was able to make the Presidents Club trip and the wife and I will be making a trip to Aruba in a few months for a few days of rest, sun, and warmth. 

One of my peeves rests on vacations in the industry and who knows it might be the same for everyone in sales.  Each and every month we have a quota (dollar amount that we need to sell).  But, what happens when you vacation?  Is it really a vacation?  What I mean is that if you've got a week or two weeks vacation do you still have to meet your monthly quota? I know I have to to, which is what sticks in my crawl, if it's really a "VACATION" then you should have a reduced quota for that month and the quarter, right?  If I'm only working three weeks then why do I till have to cram a months worth of business in three weeks? My point, it's really not a vacation to me unless my quota is reduced.  I've been preaching this for years and finally got my point across and then the company was sold and I'm back to square one again.

So, getting ready for a new year needs me to focus on some new goals:

  • I don't want to be second, as Ricky Bobbie stated, if you're not first you're last!
  • I need to create a deeper pipeline of accounts
  • I need to focus on higher dollar amounts
  • Get inspired every day!
  • I want to increase by earnings by 20% in 2011
Set your goals for the new year, keep them on desk at work, and your desk at home.  Remember that you're only as good as your last sale, and you still need to prospect day in and day out, don't count on any one to give you a lead!  Do it on your own and leads will be the icing on the cake.

Happy New Year!

-=Good Selling=-

No comments: