Tuesday, September 21, 2010

5 Ways to Make Copier Cold Calling Fun!


Who remembers this from Glengarry Glen Ross?

Blake: We're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anybody want to see second prize?

[Holds up prize]
Blake: Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.

Geezz, that's cruel!!

One of the more delightful past times in my job is cold calling. That's when you get on the phone and start calling companies to make an appointment. They call em "cold" because ummmmm A) You've never called them before. B) You have no idea who the "right person" is and my favorite C)Yes, I received your information and we're not interested (whoa, wait a minute, I've never sent you an information), and then the hang up!

Since I've been doing this for over 30 years, I don't have to make as many cold calls (and I give thanks for that). In the office today, one of our new reps was getting nowhere with his calls. Call after call, our new salesperson maintained composure was cheerful and clear in his deliverance of the the script. Somewhere after the 30th phone call our new sales person delivered a great sigh, and proclaimed he was getting nowhere and was mentally drained.

Since we sit across from each other I mentioned to him to change the script, or to make an adjustment in what he was delivering. Just like a hitter will do when playing the game of baseball, change your stance, change your grip, alter your timing. After all winners make things happen and losers wait for things to happen. With that I dug through my assorted piles of paper, for a script that I had saved many months ago. You know the ones I'm talking about, they got the scribbles on the side, the coffee stain on the bottom of the page.

With that our new rep went back to work and the very next phone call he was able to talk to Mr. Right and was able to set a tentative appointment. Whose to say it was the new script or you hit the right number to get that appointment or with the new scrip there was rejuvenation. Point is, it worked and the last 30 calls were forgotten and the feeling of accomplishment was back for the new guy!

There are no rules for cold calling, I'll tell you that before I make the "cold call" I will take the time to know  something about the business I'm calling. I'll try to find out what they sell, from there I'll make the call and ask for help from the person who answers the phone, I'll also tell them that this is the first time I've ever called them. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I'll try to make most of my "cold calls" early in the AM and later in the PM, thus reserving the middle of the day to contact existing customers or my "warm" (companies where you have the right contact person and or you've spoken with them already) calls.

What I can tell the new reps is that they need to have fun with the calls, inject some humor or a comment about the weather, or when someone answers the phone with this is "Hobart, McKenzie, Zipple, Howard, Smith and Kapple" I'll comment with "wow, that's a lot to say with every call", usually I'll get a chuckle and then see if I can get through or at least get the information that I need. Another avenue is to ask when is the best time to get a hold of Mr or Mrs Right, usually you will get some help. One that I like is "I'm just calling to see if there is a need and if not I'd like to mail some information and who can I address that to", once you have the right person, make sure you out something in the mail and then follow up.

Cold calling is a necessary evil, but always keep in mind that every company you call is selling something also, without sales there is no business.

Hopes this help!

-=Good Selling=-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With the invention of the Social Networking sites like Linkedin.com learn to use this to your advantage.

Investigate companies you are cold calling on and try to find the names of people who either currently work there or who previously worked there to work as a name drop.

Once you have this information, use this to help get yourself in the door. If you are trying to sell say IT/Network Services along with an MDS solution, find the name of the CTO or CSO and use this to try and get where you need. Then at least you have a name and for God sake, tyr not using a script! The more natural you sound on the phone, the more likely you'll have success in reaching someone.

Canned or scripted introductions are bland, boring and just not interesting. When I hear someone using them on me, I let them go through their whole speach and then ask them if they are new to the sales industry. If they are honest I'll give them some pointers, but if they try to come off as if they have been doing it for years I'll simply hang up on them.

GM