Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Ricoh Wide Format Hits Skid Row


My how the mighty have fallen. With the introduction of the Ricoh 240W, it was one of the hottest wide format systems on the market. Ricoh had taken on the likes of Xerox (XES), OCE, and KIP, and had prevailed with an incredible low volume wide format system.

The key word in the last sentence is the word "had",  fasr forward six years later and the Ricoh Wide Format line is in shambles. There's been no upgrade to the W2400 or W3600 in three years and the promise of an upgrade has now been pushed to the last quarter of this year. In recent months,  Ricoh did release two higher volume systems, the Ricoh MP W5100 (10 "D" size per minute) and the MP W7140 (14 "D" Size per minute). What a time to release high volume systems when we're in the middle of the great recession and the AEC Market has been in the tank for a few years.

I'm thinking the current AEC market may have something to do with Ricoh not attacking a new low volume device, however if that was the case why did they come to market with the two high volumes units?

From what I've heard on the street,  there will be a replacement for the aged Ricoh MPW2400 and MP W3600.  The replacement will have color scanning, along with a USB support, and the ability to use a java card, however there will not be a reduction in the overall MSRP? Again,  this is what I've heard on the street and may or may not be the case. If someone has heard otherwise please post here.

In recent months, I've had the chance to speak to several people at Ricoh in reference to my thoughts on a new wide format system (quess, my opinions don't rate well with them) I was asking for a 2ppm or 3ppm LED system, with USB print support, optional color scanning, and of course the embedded print & scan controller. I also stated that an MSRP of $13,995 would be a great price point for the entire system with roll feeder, print, and scan. Alas, we are not going to get something like this. Instead Ricoh gave us the BEAST from the EAST (Epson 7700 and 9700), and NO margins!

Yesterday, I stated I tell you about what I think will be the hottest wide format to hit the market since the Ricoh 240W, if you'd like to find out more follow this link BECOME A PRINT4PAY HOTEL MEMBER

I've probably sold 80-100 wide format systems in my career, most have been down the street sales to commerial accounts. Now, I don't have specific data to back up this claim, however if I was asked to quess how many users were maxing out on the recommended volume of the Ricoh 240w's, MP W2400/3600's, I probably quess about 10%. Users that were over using the Ricoh's, probably about 5%, users at 50% of recommended volume, about 60%.

Over the past year or so, I've had many 240w's come off lease with less than 30k linear feet for 5 years!

The success of the Ricoh 240W is that is was the first low priced\low volume wide format system of it's kind. These systems were leased and purchased due to the fact that the clients were either outsourcing thier copies, scans or prints, and there was a tremdous savings to the end user. Others just wanted the convience of having a system where they could print 4 times faster than a plotter and could easily scan thier leagacy documents.

Point is, at least with the systems I had in the field is that most were under used. Hearing from other Print4Pay Hotel members over the year, I would tend to think that this is true for most of us who placed these units. So, while Ricoh rested on thier wide format laurels the likes of Xerox, KIP, and OCE have made tremendous in roads to the low volume market place. 

Well, at a list price of $13,595 this new system from .......will redefine who is a market leader...... read the rest here Print4Pay Hotel

-=Good Selling=-
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: