Wednesday, March 9, 2011

MFP vs Laser Printer "What's the Dope on Total Cost of Operation"

Ok, I'm done watching Idol, saw my favorite singers do well and I'm always impressed with Randy's slang, telling one singer "that was the DOPE!"

As an adjective DOPE can mean, very good, excellent; COOL,and as a noun DOPE can mean information; "inside story", "scoop". So, we're gonna give you the DOPE on MFP's vs Laser Printers on the Print4Pay Hotel forums.

It seems everytime I tune in the Print4Pay Hotel forums there's another awesome document or thread that was posted by a P4P'er (When you're a member that's what we call you).  Just the other day one of our analysts posted a thread in reference to "Drum Yields". 

Here's the thread:

I'm wondering about stated drum yields vs. actual drum yields. Does anyone have any specific experience with certain models or vendors where actual drum lifetime or performance fell far short of stated yields?

I chimed in with "there are many reasons that drum yields fall short, one of the main culprits is the multipage cycle of the drum, meaning if most of your prints were always one or two pages your drum yield would fall far short of the manufacturers yield".

The next day, SSG posted of the best documents I've read all year titled "beating out a laser printer". I'm not going to post the document here, nor will I cut and paste it here.  But I'll give you a few tidbits of the document.

  1. “If you print more than 5% toner coverage on the page, the fuser life is ..........
  2. "A significant cost concern when purchasing a colour printer with many experienced colour printers users is the industry approach to fixing an image quality problem..."
  3. "What usually are not discussed are the additional items associated with a colour laser printer which can add significantly to the cost per page and...
  4. "Did you know that many laser printer manufacturers base their page coverage on a page that is...."
I've been in the copier industry for 31 years and this document is one of the best I've read in years!  It gives a clear, consise picture of how laser printers differ from MFP's (Copiers), not the marking (laser) engine but how the laser printer manufacturers rate consumables, speeds, and costs. I was able to learn a few additional itmes that I never knew and you can bet the ranch I'll be using this information in the field.

If you'd like to get the real DOPE on laser printers vs MFP's go to the Print4Pay Hotel forums and become a member of the largest social group of Copier.MFP Professionals in the World!

-+Good Selling=-

3 comments:

Bill Leeds said...

Thanks for sharing it.

hotels leeds city said...

Grate information you have shared thanks for sharing ..

Socialkik said...

It's always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! I'm sure you had fun writing this article.Excellent entry! I'm been looking for topics as interesting as this. Looking forward to your next post.