Thursday, April 19, 2007

On Demand "Boston" 2007 Review


Noreaster Steals the Show in Boston for On Demand 2007

Wind, Rain, Dreary and Damp weather cuts attendance at the show.



This was my fifth year attending the On Demand Show, twice in Phili and twice in New York City, the attendance is Boston was poor compared to having the shows in New York City. Get this...next year they are going to have the show the first week of March in Boston!! Who the heck wants to be in Boston the first week of March? I'll be in sunny Florida next year at that time and I will not have any regrets about not attending the show!

Most Interesting TechnologyThe worlds first duplexing duplicator from.... Ricoh, the DX 4640PD! Seeing is believing, the DX 4640PD was producing double sided (letter size) pages at 120 pages per minute! The technology is pretty interesting, both pages are scanned onto the 11x17 master, the paper then contacts one side of the master for the first image and then turns to make contact with the master again for the second image on the reverse side. The technology is the patented turn around system and roller that Ricoh developed. Great applications for church, associations and maybe Print4Pay market. The engine that they are using is the HQ7000, which is only capable of 400dpi printing, I would have rather seen this available at 600dpi for the Print4Pay market, however I think Ricoh can get more pages out of the association and churches markets than Print4Pay with the 400 dpi device. Print4Pay really needs a 600 dpi machine and the ability to produce 11x17 two sided.

Best Looking MFP KonicaMinolta's bixhub C550, 45 ppm color, 55 ppm mono, Biometric Authentic Technology that reads your finger vien to authenticate! Plus a snazy color swivel screen that seems easy to navigate. The KM rep told me that system is rated for 30% business color usage, plus I liked the idea of having large indicator lights when the paper trays were empty. Konica Minolta also showed a perfect binging system for their high end Pro series.

MX-M1100 from Sharp Hi speed digital MPF from Sharp, looked very similar to Ricoh's MP1350 and even had 11x17 large paper deck just like the Ricoh, the more I looked at it the more it looked like a direct copy of Ricohs MP1350, however it was not. One neat feature was the ability to plug in a usb drive for printing documents. The system was demoed to me, copy and print quality was very good, however one thing I noticed is that there was hardly anyone looking at this system.

Neat Stuff Panasonic showed a desktop scanner that was able to scan checks, documents and credit cards all in the same pass! NEAT!

Panasonic "Eye Candy" line of color MFP's the colors were cool, they had the yellow one on display and when looking at it I had the urge to build something. I think it reminded me of Stanley Tape measures. This system also had a usb port for file printing and image viewing, now that was pretty cool, I was able to plug my usb in, then all of my pictures were displayed on the color screen, from their I was able to select what I wanted to print and print them in a collated order. Very Nice!

What was Missing! HP EdgeLine, was no where to be found! They had brochures and that's about it. That was the biggest disappointment of the show, did you all know that the HP EdgeLine not have a "stress plate" for moving the system? How the heck are you going to get this up or down a flight of stairs? Since there is no "stress plate", you can not use a "stairclimber" Can you image trying to install or remove this system up and down a few flights of stairs!

Hey why don't they have this show in Orlando or Vegas in January! I'm sure the attendance would go way up!

No comments: